Téléport 2 – 1 avenue Clément Ader
BP 40109 – 86961 Futuroscope Chasseneuil Cedex
2018 – present – Research Scientist, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), FRA.
2014-2017 – Postdoctoral Fellow in Aerospace, California Institute of Technology, USA.
2012-2013 – Heavy Oil Researcher, Royal Dutch Shell – Shell Technology Center Calgary, CAN.
2007-2012 – Research Assistant – Ph.D, University of Calgary, CAN.
2004-2006 – Research Associate – B.Sc, Institute of Energy & Thermodynamics – UPB, COL
Josue’s work is focused on fundamental and applied combustion including shock-/thermal-ignition, flame acceleration, Deflagration-to-Detonation-Transition (DDT), detonative propulsion, chemical kinetics, and hydrogen safety. While his research experience is primarily in Computational Fluid Mechanics (CFD) and analytical modeling of reacting flows he enjoys working closely with experimentalists.
Fluid Mechanics and combustion
- Numerical and analytical modeling of inert/reactive low/high Mach number flows
- External and internal thermal flows (i.e. natural and forced convection)
- ignition dynamics of reactive gases by moving and stationary hot surfaces
- shock-induced ignition
Flame Acceleration (FA) and deflagration-to-detonation transition (DDT)
- Experimental and numerical modeling of FA and DDT in narrow channels
Detonation and flame dynamics
- Numerical modeling of non-ideal detonation propagation (i.e. yielding confinement, curved geometries, equations of state)
- Simplified and detailed chemical kinetics
- Hydrodynamic/thermal/diffusive instabilities in flames
- High-pressure releases, dispersion and ignition hazards, lean flame dynamics.
International Collaborations and Industrial Partners
- Universidad Carlos III (ESP)
- CIEMAT (ESP)
- INRIA / ENSTA ParisTech (FRA)
- Tsinghua University (CHN)
- King Abdullah Univeristy of Science and Technology (KSA)
- Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso – UFMT (BRA)
- Universidade Federal de Rio de Janeiro – UFRJ (BRA)
- Case Western Reserve University (USA)
- California Institute of Technology (USA)
- University of Calgary (CAN)
- FM Global (USA)
Consulting Interests: Hydrogen safety, fluid mechanics, gas dynamics, combustion, shock waves, CFD, data analysis, high performance computing, OpenFOAM
- 2019 – present – Supervision of M1 and M2 research projects, ISAE-ENSMA
- Fall 2018 – Numerical Methods M.Sc.in Aeronautical Mechanics and Energetics, ISAE-ENSMA (Class size: 15+ students)
- Spring 2012/Fall 2011 – Engineering Mechanics II (Dynamics) in Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary (Class size: 100+ students)
- 2015-present – Reviewer, Combustion and Flame
- 2015-present – Reviewer, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute
- 2017-present – Reviewer, Combustion Science and Technology
- 2014-present – Reviewer, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- 2010-present – Reviewer, Shock Waves Journal
- Conference reviewer for ICDERS, ICHS, ISFEH, ISHPMIE
- 2019–present – Scientific Committee Member ICHS/HySAFE
- 2020 – Session Chair ISHPMIE (Braunschweig, GER)
- 2019 – Session Chair ICHS (Adelaide, AUS)
- 2017 – Session Chair ICDERS 2017 (Boston, MA, USA)
- 2015 – Session Chair ICDERS 2015 (Leeds, GBR)
Sélection de publications
Refereed Journal Publications
See my GoogleScholar for most up-to-date publication list
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Ballossier, Y., & Faria, L. M. Experimental and theoretical observations on DDT in smooth narrow channels. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 38, In press
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Peswani, M., & Maxwell, B. M. Detonation-diffuse interface interactions: failure, re-initiation and propagation limits. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 38, In press
Taileb, S., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Chinnayya, A. (2020). Influence of the chemical modeling on the quenching limits of gaseous detonation waves confined by an inert layer. Combustion and Flame, 218, 247-259.
Chatelain, K., Mével, R., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Chinnayya, A., Xu, S., & Lacoste, D. (2020). Effect on the Laser Sheet Orientation on the OH-PLIF imaging of detonation. Shock Waves. In press
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Boettcher, P. A., Mével, R., & Shepherd, J. E. (2019). Numerical study of the transition between slow reaction and ignition in a cylindrical vessel. Combustion and Flame, 204, 116-136.
Boeck, L. R., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Shepherd, J. E. (2019). Hot surface ignition dynamics in premixed hydrogen–air near the lean flammability limit. Combustion and Flame, 210, 467-478.
Jones, S., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Shepherd, J. E. (2019). Ignition by moving hot spheres in H2-O2-N2 environments. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 37(2), 1597-1604.
Mével, R., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Davidenko, D. (2019). Ignition of hydrogen-air mixtures under volumetric expansion. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 37(3), 3503-3511.
Coronel, S. A., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Mével, R., & Shepherd, J. E. (2018). Experimental and numerical study on moving hot particle ignition. Combustion and Flame, 192, 495-506.
Coronel, S. A., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Jones, S., & Shepherd, J. E. (2018). Temperature field measurements of thermal boundary layer and wake of moving hot spheres using interferometry. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 90, 76-83.
Boeck, L. R., Lapointe, S., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Ciccarelli, G. (2017). Flame propagation across an obstacle: OH-PLIF and 2-D simulations with detailed chemistry. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36(2), 2799-2806.
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Bauwens, L. (2013). A comparison between constant volume induction times and results from spatially resolved simulation of ignition behind reflected shocks: implications for shock tube experiments. Shock Waves, 23(3), 221-231.
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Rezaeyan, N., Tian, M., & Bauwens, L. (2011). Shock-induced ignition with single step Arrhenius kinetics. International journal of hydrogen energy, 36(3), 2374-2380.
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Rezaeyan, N., Lopez-Aoyagi, M., & Bauwens, L. (2010). Simulation of shock-initiated ignition. Shock Waves, 20(6), 467-478.
Bédard-Tremblay, L., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Bauwens, L. (2009). Detonation structure under chain-branching kinetics with small initiation rate. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 32(2), 2339-2347.
Refereed Conference Papers
Ballossier, Y., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Virot, F. (2020, July). Observations of DDT in narrow channels. 13th ISHPMIE, Braunschweig, Germany
Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Jourdain, C., Rodriguez, V., Vidal, P., & Zitoun, R. (2019, September). Detonation dynamics in a curved chamber for an argon diluted hydrogen-oxygen mixture. 8th ICHS, Adelaide, Australia
Ballossier, Y., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Virot, F. (2019, July). Characterization of a Narrow Channel to Study Flame Propagation and DDT. 27th ICDERS, Beijing, China
Chatelain, K., Mével, R., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., Chinnayya, A., Xu, S., & Lacoste, D. (2019, August). Effect of incident laser sheet orientation on the OH-PLIF imaging of detonations. 27th ICDERS, Beijing, China
Maxwell, B., & Melguizo-Gavilanes, J. (2019, July). Origins of turbulent mixing behind detonation propagation into reactive-inert gas interfaces. 27th ICDERS, Beijing, China
Taileb, S., Melguizo-Gavilanes, J., & Chinnayya, A. (2019, July). Chemistry Modeling Effects on the Interaction of a Gaseous Detonation with an Inert Layer. 27th ICDERS, Beijing, China
Ph.D thesis: Melguizo-Gavilanes, J. (2012). Shock-induced Ignition for Simplified Chemical Kinetics (Doctoral dissertation, University of Calgary), PDF